One of the rarest types of maps to find online are those of Halfling burrows, homes, and other Shire-related establishments. With that in mind, I have started this project with the goal of providing some much needed maps for those interested in running a Shire-based campaign.
The maps of burrows, homes, and other Shire establishments that I will be sharing in this series are from an offline Greyhawk campaign of mine that is focused on a large valley that is the home country of the Halflings in my game world.
The climate in the valley is a little cooler than what might be expected for Halflings and most of the forests in the area are pure evergreen stands, but the soil is very fertile for crops and all manner of natural building materials are found in abundant quantities.
As I continue to build things out in my own campaign, it is my sincerest hope that these maps will prove helpful to those who want to have their own Shire-based campaign, but have had little to no luck finding useful maps online for it.
Note: Download links are at the bottom of the article.
An unlabelled version of this map is available for those who would like to choose what each room is used for and/or add any desired room content tokens.
Special Note: The broad leaf trees shown on this map are a hardier, even more cold climate tolerant Greyhawk/Oerth version of the Magnolia grandiflora (Southern Magnolia) trees found here on Earth.
A labelled version of this map has also been included for reference purposes for anyone curious about how it has been set up in my offline campaign. The rooms have been numbered from the perspective of the two daughters in the family living there.
01. Entrance Hall
02. Closet/Storage for Outdoor and Cold Weather Items
04. Side Storage Room
05. Main Storage Area for the Whole Family (Including Their Adventuring Gear)
06. Library and Study
07. Daughters’ Bedroom
08. Bedroom Closet w/Secret Side Room for Daughters
09. Parents’ Bedroom
10. Bedroom Closet w/Secret Side Room for Parents
13. Rear/Side Entrance Room
15. Dining Room
16. Storage for Extra Dishes and Assorted Dining Room Materials
17. Male Cousins’ Bedroom
18. Guest Bedroom
19. Aunt’s Bedroom
20. Small Bedroom Closets for Aunt, Cousins, and Guests
The unlabelled version of this map is available for those who would like to choose what each room is used for and/or add any desired room content tokens.
A labelled version of this map has also been included for reference purposes for anyone curious about how it has been set up in my offline campaign. The rooms have been numbered from the perspective of the two eldest daughters in the family living there.
01. Entrance Hall
02. Partial Side Room
03. Grandmother’s (Gammer’s) Bedroom
04. Bedroom Closet for Grandmother (Gammer)
06. Side Storage Room
08. Rear/Side Entrance Room
11. Dining Room
12. Storage for Extra Dishes and Assorted Dining Room Materials
13. Library and Study
14. Main Storage Area for the Whole Family (Including Their Adventuring Gear)
15. Parents’ Bedroom
16. Bedroom Closet for Parents
17. Eldest Daughters’ Bedroom
18. Bedroom Closet for Eldest Daughters
19. Youngest Sons’ Bedroom
20. Bedroom Closet for Youngest Sons
21. Youngest Daughters’ Bedroom
22. Bedroom Closet for Youngest Daughters
23. Eldest Sons’ Bedroom
24. Bedroom Closet for Eldest Sons
25. Guest Bedrooms
26. Bedroom Closets for Guest Bedrooms
27. Extra Storage Space for Long-Term Guests
Map Download Links
All four maps are in png format and 1650*1275 pixels in size. The scale for the maps is 5 feet per square.
- Sunmeadow Hall (Unlabelled)
- Sunmeadow Hall (Labelled)
- Proudfoot Manor (Unlabelled)
- Proudfoot Manor (Labelled)
For those who are curious about the software I used to create these maps, it was Paint.NET and can be downloaded here:
I would love to hear from you if you found these maps useful and how you used them in your campaigns! Enjoy the comfort of your new Halfling burrows!